Mumstown Chat

Repeal the 8th.....yes or no?

Anything about anything!

Repeal the 8th.....yes or no?

Postby Sabbi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Sabbi

If we take emotion out of the #repealthe8th debate and forget for a minute about whether you're pro life or pro choice; shouldn't the decision should come down whether or not we give women power over their own bodies?

It took women so many years to get the right to vote.
We still don't get equal pay.

Should we have the right to decide for ourselves what we do with our own bodies?

I am not taking sides, I am simply saying that it you take emotion away, perhaps the decision becomes clearer.

What do you think?

Re: Repeal the 8th.....yes or no?

Postby Sabbi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Sabbi

A few years ago I was pregnant. I had a scan at 7 weeks and there was no heartbeat. The doc said not to worry and to come back in 2 weeks for another scan. At the second scan they said there was no heartbeat and the pregnancy was 'probably' not viable.

They sent me home to wait for another week to 'see what happened'. I went back for a 3rd scan, which confirmed again that the baby was dead. By this stage, I was quite distressed. I asked for pills to bring on the miscarriage and I was told no, I had to wait it out.

Another week went by and my belly was starting to grow but I knew my baby was dead and it was horrendous. I started to have cramps on and off for a few days and I was really quite upset by this stage so I went back in hospital for the 4th time and begged them to help me and finally, I had a D&C. If the pills had been given to me I would have avoided alot of distress and heartache and a general anesthetic and a surgical procedure.

This issue is not black and white, there are many shades of grey and as a woman, I wish I had had a choice at that time. I wanted my baby very much and was devastated he/she had died but being forced to stay pregnant because of our laws was, in my opinion, barbaric.

Postby mammycool » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm

mammycool

I think, it has the potential to be a very divisive referendum. At the moment, we don't actually know what we are voting for.

Before the 8th amendment, there was no Abortion in Ireland, and repealing the 8th will not change that.

The Citizens Assembly has recommended unrestricted abortion up to 8 weeks. Which may or may not be what is actually put on the ballot paper.

I believe the country is ready for change but to what extent? On medical grounds could possibly have a better chance of passing than unrestricted.

All down to actually goes out and votes on the day.
mammycool

Postby Sabbi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Sabbi

I was speaking with my younger sister and her boyfriend about it and they have no clue what its actually about.

I think theres alot of confusion.

We all need to be properly informed before May.