Mumstown Chat

Little Sister in trouble...

Share your excitement and concerns, from early Pregnancy to Birth stories!

Little Sister in trouble...

Postby Haileysmum » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am

Haileysmum

My sister is 34 weeks pregnant with twins and for the past two weeks has been struggling with a terrible all over body itch, she got diagnosed with cholestasis yesterday (its a liver disease that only happens in pregnancy. Its a condition in which the normal flow of bile is affected by the increased amounts of pregnancy hormones, this causes a build up of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream).- which is very serious for the babies, it can end up resulting in stillbirth, the Dr reckons she will have to deliver the babies early she hoped to get her to 38 weeks but doesn't think it will be possible now. My sister is understandably very anxious, she is on vitamin k and tablets 3 times a day and check ups in the hospital twice a week.

Did anybody have this condition whilst pregnant?.

Re: Little Sister in trouble...

Postby munchin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 pm

munchin

Nope I actually don't know anyone who has had it.
Good thing is it's been caught and is being monitored. She's nearly there..... understandably your sister is anxious but fingers crossed all goes well for her. Wow that pregnancy seems to have flown in

Postby Sabbi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Sabbi

I had it on my third pregnancy but it was not diagnosed until after I had my baby. I had awful pains under my ribs and in my belly and upset tummy alot of the time and if I ate any big meals, I would be sick.

I had to go into hospital 3 times when my baby was small and ended up having my gallbladder removed in the end because they could not get rid of the problem with anti biotics of any other treatment

But for me, it really came on after my daughter was born and they did not catch it while I was pregnant.

I am praying for your sister and hoping all will go well with the birth and if they do need to take the babies out early, they are a good size already and will hopefully be ok.

She must be so worried, god love her, she is in my thoughts. its such a painful condition to live with but for her, its a million times worse because she has her babies to worry about.

There is a 'healthy & alternative' treatment that she could try (best check with the docs first). You drink half a glass of grapefruit juice mixed with olive oil and lie on your right side for 45 mins. This filters through the gallbladder and helps to naturally loosen and move some of the gallstones or build up toxins in there. I did this myself and its not pleasant and you need to be near a loo for quite a few hours afterwards but I did pass alot of gallstones (they look like tomato seeds, sorry if TMI). Passing the stones naturally was not painful and it did relieve the symptoms for a while - though drinking the grapefruit juice & olive oil was fairly disgusting. But if it would help clear some of the build up it might be worth a shot? I know it sounds mad but maybe it could help her for a couple of weeks until the babies are born?

Fingers crossed for a safe and healthy birth for the babies and then, the treatment for your sister that she needs to get her well.

Keep us posted, I'll be thinking of her.

Postby Haileysmum » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Haileysmum

Unfortunately the levels in my sisters blood have gone higher so the babies will be coming out on tuesday.needless to say she is very nervous about them getting delivered so early but its the only option so she just has to go with it.please keep her in your thoughts x

Postby Sabbi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Sabbi

I am saying a prayer for the 3 of them.

The babies will be 35 weeks right? That's early but not too bad for twins. My friends sister had twins at 34 weeks and apart from a few little issues with their lungs at birth (which they treated with some antibiotics and steroids), they're doing great.

This is probably the safest option for your sister and her babies. Its scary but sounds like the safest and best course of action for the 3 of them.

Your sister may need further treatment once the babies are born - but hopefully she can be treated easily without surgery. Even if she does need surgery, it would most likely be keyhole and the recovery is quick from that. (Its what I had done to remove my gallbladder a few months after my daughter was born)

Keep us posted, I'll be thinking about you all.

Postby munchin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 pm

munchin

i can imagine how nervous your sister is but as sabbi said is obviously the best option for babies and mammy and 35 weeks isn't too early.

oh the plus side you'll be an aunty to 2 gorgeous babies on Tuesday xo

Best of luck to all will the be thinking of them

Postby joeyrudd » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:20 pm

joeyrudd

i had it on my 3rd baby she was born at 31 week and all i can say is the nurses in the nicu and scbu are brilliant, good luck to your sister and the babies

Postby Haileysmum » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Haileysmum

Thanks a lot ladies for your good wishes,ill let you know how she gets on.

Postby Sabbi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Sabbi

Gosh Joey, that was early - which of your little ones was that on?

Haileysmam - I have to tell you, Joey often brings her children to our coffee mornings in Drogheda and they are all gorgeous, healthy, clever children.

So hopefully all will go well for your sister and the babies too.

They took great care of my friend's sister when she had her twins there and they were early too.

Best of luck and please keep us posted - we'll be thinking of you all. xx

Postby Sabbi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Sabbi

Any news yet? We are all thinking of you.

HMM, Joey and I were sending positive vibes from our coffee morning today.

Hope all going well. x

Postby Haileysmum » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Haileysmum

Great News- 2 healthy baby girls safely delivered one 5lbs 2oz & other 4lbs 15oz in icu for the night just to keep an eye on them but both doing great.thanks for thinking of her x

Postby Sabbi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 am

Sabbi

That's great Haileysmam!! So happy the babies are out safe & sound. Good weights for so early.

How is your sister doing?

Postby joeyrudd » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:40 pm

joeyrudd

those are great sizes, congrats to your sister and welcome to the world baby girls.

i weighed 4lbs 15oz when i was born too and that was nearly 39 years ago :D

awe thanks siobhan for such nice words about my children

Postby munchin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 pm

munchin

Awh wonderful news was just logging on to see if you'd posted.
Welcome to the world little ladies xo Hope your sister is doing ok.
Congratulations Aunty xo

Postby Haileysmum » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Haileysmum

Thanks Ladies :D my sister is in quite a lot of pain & still a bit disorientated after medication.her blood pressure was high last night so she had to be monitored every 15 minutes so she got no sleep.the babies are stull in icu they were struggling with their feeds a bit so had to be fed through naso tube but apart from that they are doing great.

Postby Haileysmum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:10 am

Haileysmum

My sister got out of hospital at the weekend.they are just taking things day by day but there is talk of the twins staying in hosp till their due date which will mean a month in hospital.i know how hard this will be for her having been through it with Hailey but she will get through it but its very difficult as she had a c section so she cant drive either.she is still in a fair amount of pain too.

Postby munchin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am

munchin

Hi haeileysmam that's though going alright but as you say she'll get through it. Have they names for the girls?
Week since section hmmm I had 2 sections one emergency one planned and while yes it's still very sore a week later she shouldn't be in agony either? Maybe she should talk to her consiltant/doctor? Friend of mine had issue with stitches being too tight. Hope she is okay xo. Oh painkillers tell her not to wait for pain but take them when due

Postby Sabbi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Sabbi

That's very stressful for her. She defo needs the painkillers and maybe get doc to look at her wound and stitches to make sure she is healing ok.

How are the babies?

Postby Haileysmum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Haileysmum

Her girls are called Niamh & Sarah.they are still only managing 2 bottle feeds a day the rest of the feeds are by naso gastric tube.

My sister is still in a bad way pain wise her wound is grand staples taken out yesterday but she has terrible pain in her neck she has made appointment with physio.her blood pressure is very high & shes been put on meds for that.hopefully she will feel better soon.

Postby Sabbi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Sabbi

Im keeping them all in my thoughts & prayers.

How are you coping? Its hard on family too.

Postby munchin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 pm

munchin

Your poor sister to be in so much pain and no doubt worrying over the girls too. It's still early days foir the girls in sure they will get there. Gorgeous names.
Hope you are doing okay xo

Postby Haileysmum » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Haileysmum

We are all just taking it one day at a time, I was trying to say to my sister that every day they are one day closer to getting home. I know how hard she is finding it and especially with being in physical pain herself and then not being able to drive so she is depending on family/friends/neighbours to help her out and get her boys to and from school- so there is a lot going on for her.

The main thing is the girls are healthy but are just tired and need building up so that the naso gastric tube can be removed, but the way I am trying to get my sis to look at it is- they were meant to be a c section at 38 weeks which is next week so it is still very early days for them.

All she wants is for her family t o be all together but it is just going to take time. no kids are allowed to visit so the brothers haven't met them yet. no aunties allowed either :( only their parents and grandparents are allowed in.

Postby munchin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

munchin

That's tough going especially as there are older siblings but as you say every day is another day closer AND it is very short time in scheme of things but I imagine it feels like a lifetime to your sister.
Thinking of you all xo

Postby munchin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

munchin

That's tough going especially as there are older siblings but as you say every day is another day closer AND it is very short time in scheme of things but I imagine it feels like a lifetime to your sister.
Thinking of you all xo