Mumstown Chat

Weight Loss Goals for 2018 - join us here for free advice!

So many people spend their health gaining wealth, and then have to spend their wealth to regain their health

Weight Loss Goals for 2018 - join us here for free advice!

Postby admin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:08 pm

admin
Site Admin

So gals, 2018 is almost upon us and its time for us to set our goals for the year ahead. In 2017 I lost 1 stone and 10 lbs and now, for 2018, my goal is to lose a further 1 stone and 7lbs. I have to thank all the gals in our weight loss group for the support and help during the year and also, Dave from https://financialcompanion.ie/ for all the health & nutrition tips!! To catch up on the 2017 weight loss thread, go here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20904&p=160113#p160113

I knew I needed to lose approx 3 stone when we started our weight loss journey earlier in 2017 and now that I'm half way there, it feels achievable and realistic.

I did not deprive myself in 2017, I just became more careful with what I ate and how many indulgences I had!

So come on, lets all share our goals for 2018 and we'll reach them together!!!

Re: Weight Loss Goals for 2018 - join us here for free advic

Postby Jeanie M » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Jeanie M

Hi,

I am new to the group...

Ideally I would like to lose 2 stone... but my short term goal is probably a stone by April for my friends wedding.

I am an emotional eater and have had a lot of stress and a lack of time for myself so I gained almost a stone since June... I am afraid to weigh myself after Christmas but started back eating properly on the 28th and wanted to give myself a week of good habits before i see what my starting weight is...

I also have fitness goals this year... I have always loved sport and played rugby for ten years but im finding it difficult to motivate myself to exercise alone when i am used to having my team mates around me. So I have decided this year I am going to give myself some solo adventures and compete in a duathlon in April, a 'try-athlon' in June which is a taster for triathlons and then Hell & Back again later that month with a group of friends...

Postby admin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:23 pm

admin
Site Admin

Ok, so its the 1st January and I hopped on the scales to see what damage I did over christmas and in the past 3 weeks since I last weighed myself, I have put on 3lbs!

Its not too bad considering all the wine and chocolate and desserts I ate....back on the healthy train again from this week.

Lets get 2018 off to a great start everyone!!!

Postby Sabbi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 am

Sabbi

Jeanie, have you written down your weight? Get an index card and start off with week 1, current weight and then weight yourself each week and note the weight changing....its a great feeling, seeing the numbers get smaller.

You need to keep a food & drink diary and each week too for the first while to see where you might be having problems.

Can you tell us what your plans are for exercise? Do you have some recipes fro Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner? There are loads of advice and recipes on here to help you. Check out the recipe section above and the health section for more info.

Let us know how day 1 was!! You can definitely do a stone by April, that is a reasonable goal and achievable. roughly a pound a week will have you well on your way!!!

Postby munchin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am

munchin

Well 2017 wasn't a great year for me either diet or e decide wise in fact I out on half a stone. BUT no excuses it's done and I'm starting afresh.
I would like 3 stone off but baby steps. I'd like a stone by April and I'll recode then.
I've a confirmation my daughter's communion and 2 weddings so plenty of inspiration
Diary is out and I'm tracking since Sunday
Started c25k last Friday and signed up for the great run in April feels like mammoth task at the moment but I've done it before

Postby happymumblemum » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 pm

happymumblemum

I'm here and on a mission to succeed.
I have stones to loose, but my first goal is to get under 100kg... Small steps.

Ensuring I eat breakfast and drink more water is this weeks challenge.

I'm doing lots of classes up at Gym plus also they've a really fantastic selection all through day!

Just did one where my daughter age 4 got to do her own excersising it was fantastic !

Postby happymumblemum » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm

happymumblemum

4pm till 5 on Wednesday if anyone interested. Kids must be 4 and over.
They had trampolines and skipping ropes etc.
Adults get a brill workout while the kids get on with theirs the trainer goes between them !!!
Any one fancy to meet

Postby munchin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am

munchin

Hey hmm that sounds like a great class unfortunately I'm at work. Breakfast and water good start. I've slipped on water even though I have it on my desk.... I'm drinking some apple & cinnamon or lemon & ginger tea to try up my intake

Postby Financial Companion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Financial Companion

At a time when people are trying to get back in to being healthier and also a day when many people do their weekly grocery shopping, it's a good time to put some thought into plans. So much of it can start with what you put into your shopping trolley, so think carefully about that in advance. Some of the top tips that helped people last year were the following:

Top tips:

Keep the detailed food, drink & activity diary going.
Drink more water.
If possible, eat small and frequently.
Always eat a breakfast.
Try not to eat late at night.
Reduce alcohol consumption.
Get white bread out of your life (and sugar, where possible!)
Move more (walk, train, swim, use stairs instead of lifts.)
Reduce portion size of meals.
Stop referring to empty calorie, sugar-laden crap as "treats".
Think positively and don't allow negative thoughts like "I'm no good at this", "I can't do this", "I'm a disaster", etc. etc. etc.
Plan your shopping.
Focus on the present.

Remember, the weight-loss industry is a multi-billion dollar industry primarily dependent on one thing......people failing! You don't have to stay on that merry-go-round. Do it right and you can be however you want to be. But the changes have to be sustainable. Diets don't work!

Have a great, healthy weekend ;-)

P.S. If anyone is going to The Full 360 with Alison Canavan and guests on Sunday, pop over and say hello ;-)

Dave.

Postby happymumblemum » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm

happymumblemum

Great tips.
Just put my work trousers back on and I can tell you they show a sorry tale of over indulgence!

I'm a few classes down now at the gym and trying to make small changes.

If any one is a member of energie (now gym plus ) and fancies meeting up I'd love a buddy !
If not a member the classes are pay as you go no booking required

Postby munchin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

munchin

Good morning all
I lost 3lbs last week but weekend well let's just say I slipped. I did get out for walk on Saturday.
Is energie/gym plus the one over by smyths hmm?

Monday to Fri if I tick to planned meals etc I'm grand but I need to work at the weekends.

Postby Financial Companion » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Financial Companion

That's a very common issue Munchin. The analogy I often use is, imagine if you were running a marathon but at every mile marker, you ran backwards 9/10ths of a mile (or worse, 1.2 miles!) you'd never get it done. It's at trigger times like weekends that a bit of extra effort and planning are more needed. This doesn't mean that you don't have the occasional indulgence but if someone, for example, has a chicken curry with fried rice, chips and prawn crackers, they will have undoubtedly wiped out any progress from the previous week. Look at options that are not too heavy, keep an eye on portion size and if you're having a glass of wine, have water in between. Another good tip to keep you focused is to weigh in on Friday and then aim to weigh in again on Monday without gaining.

Postby happymumblemum » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

happymumblemum

Hey munchin gym plus is indeed at the Smyth's side :-)

Going quite well here.
Just done a spin class...well I say done a class I did most of it and had to go at my own pace for a hood bit of it but at least I was moving :-)
Swapped my lattes for black coffee and having nice veg stir Fry's and fish for lunch.
Eating properly when I wake and trying to up the water !

Postby munchin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm

munchin

Hiya hmm too far for me I'm afraid
I'm working on c25k.... slowly.. my 'jogging pace is about same as walking but I'm moving.
Bought litre bottle of water for work so I'm getting through that

Postby Sabbi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Sabbi

That class sounds great HMM but its too far for me at that time of day especially. I bought 2 new exercise DVD's last week and have done one of them and tomorrow, I am doing the other.

Between working and the kids drop off's, pick up's etc if I don't get some exercise in early in the morning, then I most likely will not get to it. Once 2pm hits, its full on homework, dinner etc. I don't get to sit down usually until they're all gone to bed! I seem to be doing endless cooking, cleaning & homework most evenings!!

But I am trying to be good, drinking lots of water and getting a walk or DVD in a few mornings a week again.

Its about routine I think - once we are back into a routine, I find it easier to eat better and get some exercise in.

Btw HMM, how much is the class? Do you have to pay for the kids too? I would like to try and come over some afternoon but I'd have to bring 3 children with me.....would that be ok??

Postby munchin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:14 pm

munchin

1lb down happy with that

Postby Sabbi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Sabbi

Just got a great workout in. I was flying around this morning and wasn't sure I'd get the chance but I wanted to do something active today and so I popped on a DVD here and did 35 mins of Salsacise.

I had my wrist weights on today, so was even sweatier than usual!

Feel great now ahead of the weekend. Exercise always makes me feel good.