Mumstown Chat

Annoying Sofa problems

Anything about anything!

Annoying Sofa problems

Postby Haileysmum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Haileysmum

Long story short we bought our first sofa 5 years ago and after 4 years the leather was peeling and it looked awful I contacted the companies customer service and they said it only had a 1 year warrantee but as a good will gesture they would give us €650 store credit to get a new sofa so we did that a year ago and had to put another €800 to it.

so our second sofa from the same place the support has completely gone when you sit down it has been getting worse over the past few weeks so that when you sit down you end up sloping to the side of the seat, I rang the customer service again and they said as it was within the 1 year warrantee they would send out a technician to look at it- man came out and spent maybe 2 hours putting in/ topping up foam. this seemed ok for about a week where if started sagging again. rang them again and they said they will give us €1400 store credit ( the original amount we spent on sofa in 2012)

We have yet to go back to the store but I'm a bit ughhhh about the whole thing- I mean this will be our third sofa in 5 years from this store, I'm just wondering have we just been really unlucky or are all their sofas rubbish.would really just like our money back and to go elsewhere but I don't know where do we stand on this customer rights wise?. Maybe FC you might know where we stand?.

Re: Annoying Sofa problems

Postby admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

admin
Site Admin

Over to you Dave FC, this is a tricky one.

Postby admin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:22 pm

admin
Site Admin

Not sure if this is helpful....if you could get your money back, could be good?
viewtopic.php?t=21162

Postby Financial Companion » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 am

Financial Companion

The main thing jumping out here is the "warranty" fob off. A warranty is a manufacturer's extra and it DOES NOT affect your statutory rights under the sale of goods and supply of services act, or the consumer protection act. You have the right that what you purchase should be of merchantable quality, i.e. suitable for the purpose for which it was designed. If a fridge stops working after 15 months and had a 1 year warranty, that does not remove responsibility from the store for rectifying the problem. Depending on the length of time and the circumstances, it's repair, replace or refund. Obviously a fridge is not only expected to last 15 months. Your contract (and the people responsible for resolving the problem) is the store where purchased. It doesn't matter if the manufacturer has gone out of business, it is still up to them to put it right. In this example, if they are offering you the same value that you paid 5 years ago, that is probably more than fair. But whatever you choose, I would point out that you are not interested in any length of warranty. That if this one is faulty, you will simply take a refund.

I would recommend taking a few minutes on both of the following links to give you a good idea of your rights as a consumer:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/co ... er_rights/

HTH ;-)

Postby Haileysmum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Haileysmum

Thanks Dave :) good information there

We went back to the store today the cheapest sofa a (3 seater & a 2 seater) that we liked was €1699 which would mean us adding another €300 to the store credit they gave us- its just really annoying as we have so far shelled out the original €1400 then a further €800 last year and now if we go with this one a further €300 they will have got out of us - I mean that's €2500 yet we will only end up with a €1700 sofa :(

Postby Daisy37 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Daisy37

Call Joe Duffy. why should you have to pay another 400 euro because of their bad quality

i wouldnt take this and would not want to pay it. tell them you cannot afford it and cos they put you in this position they should be the ones to sort it out. you shouldnt be out of pocket

Postby mammycool » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:28 pm

mammycool

Since reading this, my two year old sofa has decided to part at the seams - literally!! On one of the recliner sections, there is a seam and the stitches have decided to pull apart. I was looking into getting it fixed but now I think, my first port of call will be with the retailer. Just read this online as well, very relevant:

6. Once a manufacturer’s warranty expires, that’s it

No it’s not. Under European Directive 1999/44/EC, every country in the EU must ensure a retailer is liable for “non-conformities” which happen within two years of purchase. The Sale of Goods Act gives you even more power and covers goods for up to six years depending on what it is. If a washing machine or sofa, for example, falls apart through no fault of your own five years after you bought it, you can seek to have it replaced or repaired by the retailer rather than a manufacturer
mammycool

Postby Haileysmum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Haileysmum

I decided to email customer service laying out all that we have paid them over the past 5 years and I am not waiting to hear back from them, fingers crossed I will get a positive outcome as I really don't want to pay any further money. I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.

Postby mammycool » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:58 pm

mammycool

Well, after the last update, I went into my retailer armed with the information, relating to the sale of goods act. I was redirected to a phone number for their customer service team. Told they would probably send someone out to inspect before deciding what to do.

Anyhow, rang customer services and got a lady, who more or less told me that it was outside the one year warranty and tough. I explained to her how a sofa should last more than one year and that I had statutory rights. To which I was told, they would interfere with my consumers rights but I would have to go through small claims as they would not help me at all.
mammycool

Postby Haileysmum » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 am

Haileysmum

Wow Mammycool im in shock at how rude they were with you. Whats your plan now?. ask to speak to a manager at the customer care line?. Maybe Dave FC on here could advise you further?.

Postby mammycool » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am

mammycool

I was too. No, I did not ask to speak to the manager. I logged a call through their online complaints service - just to get a paper trail. It says that I will get a 24hour response but have had no response.

My next step will be to get a quote to either repair or re-upholster. Then I am going through the small claims court. I pay 25euro to log my claim and they have 25 days to respond. In order to do so, I need to know the value that I wish to claim. It might be cheaper to replace than re-upholster.

You can log a claim up to 2k. If they do not respond, then it is taken that they are responsible. They can accept and offer something. The last option is that they put in a counter-claim against me but there would be nothing for them to claim.
mammycool

Postby Financial Companion » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 am

Financial Companion

Mammycool, while you have the right to use the small claims court for disputes, you really shouldn't have to in this situation. The retailer are responsible for repair, replace or refund, depending on the item, the fault and the length of time since purchase. I would always insist on speaking to a manager if it was not being resolved. If they mention a customer services number, I would point out that they are welcome to phone it if they want but your contract under the sale of goods act and the consumer protection act is with the retailer. Your statutory rights refer to your rights as a consumer. You have the right to have anything you purchase be of "merchantable quality", that is, suitable for the purpose for which it was designed. I would return to the store, deal only with the manager, explain that you have sought advice and want the matter resolved. I would also add that 25,000 Mumstown.ie members are awaiting the outcome and if it is not to your satisfaction, the sh*tstorm of media attention that you will plan will cost them 20 times more than your issue in lost sales.

Postby mammycool » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:44 am

mammycool

Thanks Financial Controller. I will try that. I got no response at all from logged on their website. Very surprised at how bad their customer services is - I have bought a lot of products in another section of their company and they had excellent, in store support.
mammycool

Postby Haileysmum » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 am

Haileysmum

Customer services got back to me and "as a gesture of goodwill" they are going to give me the extra €300 so we don't have to put any money towards the new sofa woohoo!.

Mammycool how are you getting on with your problem?

Postby allyj » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:50 am

allyj

Glad your persistence paid off and they saw sense. Well done.

Postby mammycool » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:00 am

mammycool

Glad you got sorted. Nothing more annoying.

I finally got into the store and talking to the manager yesterday. She has taken all the details, and a picture and will get back to me this week. Much more positive attitude and no arguments. She will get the ball rolling on it today. We shall wait and see!!
mammycool

Postby admin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:41 pm

admin
Site Admin

I hope all will be ok now and you'll get the quality and service you paid for.

Thanks Dave FC for being a voice of reason and good advice as always.

Postby Haileysmum » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Haileysmum

Mammycool,did the manager sort sofa problem for you yet?

Postby mammycool » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:17 pm

mammycool

Not yet!! I had the guy out - nearly two weeks ago on Sunday. He said it was manufacturing fault and could not be fixed. I got a message last Saturday saying they were working on it and that was the last I heard.
mammycool

Postby Haileysmum » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Haileysmum

Maybe get on to the manager again, just in case they are forgetting about you!

Postby CarolineMX » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 am

CarolineMX

oh this is unbelievable....
i wonder anyone else with the same problem?
By the way, what's the name of the shop,please??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

i tough it was me unlucky with the poor customer service @ DFS furniture in Blandcahrdstown... they tell you one think and promise you do things, but they even don't come back to you. and it feels you're chasing them, even tough you're the customer...

not to mention you're waiting more that a year for the furniture...when they say 6 months

and then it arrives and need a fix
however. your case sound worse i think...
Good luck picking a new sofa !

Postby mammycool » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 pm

mammycool

OMG - 3 1/2 months in, a courier just delivered a package to me. I had not ordered anything so was baffled. Opened up, to find what looked like the same leather fabric as my sofa. On closer inspection, it was made up like seat covers out of a car.

Rang up the Customer Assist and was asked was there something wrong with them!!! Advised that I would not be putting them on the sofa - they had told me that the sofa was faulty and putting these on, in my opinion, they would just burst as well.

Anyhow, after the guy did some checking. They are sending someone in the next 2 - 4 working days, to fix the spring mechanism and put on the new covers. We shall never buy from this store again.
mammycool