Mumstown Chat

School reports....

Creches, Schools & Special Needs

School reports....

Postby Sabbi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Sabbi

Our children had mixed reactions to their school reports today!! They were mostly very good (thank goodness) but they didn't all do great on the Standardised tests.

I don't like these tests. they only happen once a year to give a snapshot of how your child is doing and then, all of a sudden, your child gets a number to say what their level of intelligence and ability is.

Our son was quite upset where he scored a 6 in one and he felt he should have scored a 7 or an 8. We tried to explain it is just one test on one day and not really an overview of the whole year but he is just too upset to listen to reason.

I wish our kids could get semestered tests and reports for a balanced view of things!

what do ye think??

Re: School reports....

Postby Fabienne » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Fabienne

I agree it's just one day.
We should get a report every quarter ! so easier to spot sooner any little issues and work on it rather than just at the end of the year and a bit late to work on it. Also if a bad day on that test day, then it doesn't show the whole picture.
My kids are happy with their results (and we are also), but it made us realized that their english is below their standard in math or irish, still really good results but show that there is a small issue there and I would loved to know it before now. I still will only speak french to them as it's not the origin of the issue, more lack of extra reading, but we'll work on the english differently.

Fabienne
French teacher,

Postby CaliGal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:53 pm

CaliGal

continual assessment is a far better academic marker but there are high admin costs and as we all know there is hardly any money for education...

I would take those tests with a grain of salt as kids are so young and several factors could affect their performance...

Postby chewieodie » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:31 am

chewieodie

Its definitely a reflection of how they are on the day..... For example.... last year our son would have scored really well on maths.... this year it was a 6.... so I can't believe he would have "deteriorated".... but this year he got a 10 in English.... how is that possible? I think the actual report is the ticks in the boxes.... that truly reflects how the child is doing.

All told, we are delighted..... but meeting with the parents earlier in the year gave us the guidance we were looking for as to how they were performing. Needless to say, we made a big deal out of the reports regardless.... ;) They are thrilled with themselves....x
Angels surround us... ;)

Postby munchin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:05 am

munchin

haven't received our reports yet.
Dd1 was sick on the day of the maths tests - she was in school but ended up getting a call to take her home and part of me wondered was it to do with the tests - she says not and I really hope so. We've done our best to explain that the tests are just one day - she does weekly spelling and maths tests and always scores 8/9/10 on them and her teacher is happy with her progress so we're happy.......still looking forward to reading the overall report though :wink:
it's dd2's first report :wink: