Mumstown Chat

School uniform survey - shocking results

Creches, Schools & Special Needs

School uniform survey - shocking results

Postby Sabbi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Sabbi

In the uniform survey that the government recently rolled out, 75% of parents in our school have opted to keep the €30 per child crested tracksuit and €21.50 crested jumper!!!! They have said no to generic and no to sewing on our own.

I don't get this, I really don't. We spoke to so many parents about this survey over the past few weeks online and at Mumstown events and NO-ONE gave the above answers. Nearly all parents we spoke with said they wanted a generic uniform option. I am stunned. I really am.

Can I just ask these 75% of parents - may we please have a loan from you in August because clearly, you have far more money than us if you can afford to spend that on uniforms while the rest of us struggle to get the money together.

Shocked at the moment. Shocked and saddened. :twisted: :shock: :(

Re: School uniform survey - shocking results

Postby Yvonne » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Yvonne

I find that surprising!

I would definitely vote for a generic uniform and tracksuit - so much more purse friendly. We are lucky that we only have a crested tracksuit. A lot have the jumper and cardi aswell!

Postby Sabbi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:06 am

Sabbi

I don't understand it because I actually spoke to lots of parents about this and we all seemed to be saying the same thing. That we wanted a uniform but a generic one, so we could sew on crests if need be and it would cut down on cost.

Stunned that 75% opted to keep the expensive one. :(

Postby Fabienne » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Fabienne

But the way the survey was set up was are you happy with the uniform.
Yes, like the colors and the crest design
Sew on it was either yes or no, not would you want to have both and pick the one that suit.
I don't know how to sew and I saw myself looking for a shop who will sew it so I chose ready made, but I would like to have both available.

But yes surprised with results, but also they did not mention anything about general comments added, as I'm sure they were full of info.

As well survey proosed general shop for non crested items, did not mention general shops for all items not just the very expensive one in Co Dublin when school border Meath - Louth.

And shoes, so difficult to find black or white runners, but nothing on it.
But then of course with results they remind us to use the official uniforms and no track suit if not PE day, even if after school activity done in school and it's sport. They don't have time to change or put runners and tie lace so my son is doing Hurling in the grass after school activity done by Munteoir in full uniform and school shoes !
I sent him once with uniform and runners jsut because not fun to run with wrong shoes and wash them after every week and he came back and Munteoir not happy about the shoes choice ! the rest was the official uniform, just runners instead.

Don't understand that, but have to follow the rule.

Fabienne
French teacher,

Postby Yvonne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Yvonne

Our survey is going out next week.. I just hope no one votes no uniforms!

I did think that these would all go back to the Department of Education and it would be decided nationally, not on a school to school basis!

Postby Sabbi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Sabbi

I really thought we would be buying generic this year....cannot believe the majority voted to keep crested uniforms.

It always seems a struggle to get everything by the time school rolls around again....

Postby Yvonne » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Yvonne

Our school voted to keep it as it is.. but like you Sabbi, the general talk was generic only.

I do think this was how the survey was worded... When it came to the crested question - it was to vote for bespoke or not... most of our school voted for bespoke, which in theory meant leave it as it is.. even though they answered the following questions for sew on/iron on etc... I did say this to our principal after I had counted the results but she said she couldn't change the questions as that's was the Department sent... so I do feel it was a little confusing.

Postby lemonB » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:10 am

lemonB

Ask yourselves this......Do you actually believe a government would do anything that'd benefit the ordinary people as much?

I've seen too much and heard too much to believe anything. They make you think you have a say, a choice but in reality you don't really.

Money matters most.