Mumstown Chat

sacro-iliac joint pain

Owner of BodyRight Chartered Physiotherapy Sarah Plunkett answers your questions on Injury & Pain Management, Postural Problems, Women's Health and Core Strengthening.

sacro-iliac joint pain

Postby JLa » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

JLa

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has experience of sacro-iliac joint pain (both sides!) 8nearly 9 months after giving birth?? The hospital physio has done all she can, I'm doing pilates now, but am hoping to get pregnant again soon and am worried that I'm going to be heading straight into more and more pain!!

Re: sacro-iliac joint pain

Postby admin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am

admin
Site Admin

Hi Jla,

We have a physiotherapy expert on here who works with mums and mums-to-be and she may be able to offer some advice, here are her details: http://www.bodyrightphysio.ie/

and here is the link to the Physio expert section on Mumstown: viewforum.php?f=119

Hope that helps.

Postby JLa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:10 am

JLa

Thanks admin!

The link that u posted to the forum brings me right back here, so I posted in the right place?!

Postby Taylor5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Taylor5

Hello there, i have suffered with this for the past 11 or 12 years, i had an accident and did a good bit of damage to my back, my joint on the right moved out of place and my hip rotates... i had physo every week but it still would pop back out.
I have to make a few changes and they make a huge difference.... i wore a brace/support on both pregnancies, which was a great help.

I tried to keep my legs together (no laughing in the cheap seats... please!!) :roll: I mean getting in and out of the car, i found swinging one leg out at a time very sore, if you get out like the Queen with two knees together.... not like Brittney going commando!! :lol: :lol:

Just general posture and before lifting or turning, just getting into the habit of holding my muscles.
Be strong be different!

Postby JLa » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:34 pm

JLa

Thanks Taylor5, I must remember to keep the legs together when I can :wink:

Have the support belts too, they helped a bit first time around. Another physio I was talking to told me to lie down rather than sit on the sofa, I'm doing my best........

Postby Bodyrightphysio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:11 am

Bodyrightphysio

I'm sorry to hear you have been getting persistent SIJ pain. With out hearing a full history and doing a full examination it is hard for me to give you definitive advice. I do have further questions as to what physiotherapy has entailed. Have you had kinesiology taping, pelvic support, manipulation, biomechanical evaluation? If not it is worth trying these options. If you have then a referral onto a physician for steroid injections is probably the right way forward.

If you want to discuss this in more detail feel free to call me in the Clinic on 041 9843950.

Sarah Plunkett
Chartered Physiotherapist

Postby JLa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:21 pm

JLa

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your response. Definitely didn't have any taping done, but had manipulation and wore support belts throughout my pregnancy and for a few months after. The hospital physio recommended that I do pilates next, to strengthen my core, as my levels were fine. Am seeing my gp on Fri so will mention that its still quite bad.

Postby Taylor5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Taylor5

Im doing pilates at the moment, finding it good... but i found Anti gravity yoga (@labfitness) much much better, if you post in the health expert section Laura from Labfitness
Be strong be different!

Postby Cathmc » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 am

Cathmc

I too have had problems in this area. Spent about two years going to doctors and physios without relief. Luckily I tried oesteopathy and found great relief. My problem was that bones in this area had moved slightly and were pressing on the nerves in the area and this was causing the pain. After a couple of treatments the pain reduced dramatically. It is not possible to sort in the long term because this area is weak and over time the bones move out of place again, but when the pain comes back I go to the oesteopath and I am grand again for about six months.

As the others have said, I am now more careful of my lower back. Before getting out of bed, I would always bend my knees, keep my legs together and then swing my legs out.

With lower back problems, I think different solutions suit different people. I will never forget how devastated I felt when the hospital did loads of tests and told me that there was nothing wrong with me.

Best of luck, hope you find relief.

Regards

Cathmc

Postby Bodyrightphysio » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Bodyrightphysio

Pilates will take some time to work, depending on how long it takes you to master the techniques. Though I would recommend you only use Modified Pilates as it is specifically designed for people with a history of pain and injury, and is only taught by Chartered Physiotherapists.

Traditional Pilates such a Stott Pilates is a fantastic exercise for the already fit and strong but for those with a history of back pain/ pelvic pain it can load the joints too much with shearing forces and cause more irritation.

I hope you start to get relief soon,

Sarah.