Mumstown Chat

'What to Expect' From Women's Health Physiotherapy.

Owner of BodyRight Chartered Physiotherapy Sarah Plunkett answers your questions on Injury & Pain Management, Postural Problems, Women's Health and Core Strengthening.

'What to Expect' From Women's Health Physiotherapy.

Postby Bodyrightphysio » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

Bodyrightphysio

An assessment with your women's health physiotherapists at BodyRight Chartered Physiotherapy will include a detailed medical, gynaecological and obstetric history, details of your current complaint, bladder and bowel habits and lifestyle.

You may be offered an internal examination to investigate how your pelvic floor muscles are working. This will be done in the privacy of our treatment rooms and you are welcome to bring a chaperone with you. Our women's health physiotherapists understands how these muscles work, the way they control your bladder and bowel and how they can affect your symptoms.

They will be looking at:
- Muscle strength, endurance and functional control
- Tissue scarring
- Sensation and pain
- Reflex contractions
- Evidence of any prolapse or weakness

After the examination the results will be fully explained and together we will form a treatment plan that is specific to you and your lifestyle.

Treatment may include:
- Treaching correct pelvic floor muscle exercises
- Designing a specific exercise programme to strengthen the pelvic floor
- Pilates based rehabilation
- Biofeedback and/or Electrical Muscular Stimulation (EMS) Cones
- Bladder and bowel re-education
- Dietary and lifestyle advice

It is important to understand that improvements in muscle strength can take up to 3 months and so perserverance with your exercise and/or treatment is essential.

We recognise that this is an extremely sensitive area and maintain the highest professional standards. We aim to make you feel comfortable to talk about your problems and to empower you to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.

Our women's health physiotherapists are always available to speak to you to discuss any further queries you may have. Please call us and we will arrange for one of our women's health physiotherapists to call you back.

Sarah Plunkett MISCP

BodyRight Chartered Physiotherapy
041 9843950

Re: 'What to Expect' From Women's Health Physiotherapy.

Postby Sabbi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Sabbi

so many women I know have problems with their pelvic floor muscles after birth and have been to GP's etc but have to say, the level of detail in the below post would make me go to Sara for a consultation if it happened to me.

I got some advice from her when pregnant about this and followed the exercises she gave me and have not had any issues since our baby arrived 10 weeks ago. I am still doing my exercises every day

It really makes a difference when you do these exercise. Highly recommend Sara, not only is she extremely professional but she is a mum and she really knows what she is talking about.