- Posts: 174
You may be offered an internal examination to investigate how your pelvic floor muscles are working. This will be done in the privacy of our treatment rooms and you are welcome to bring a chaperone with you. Our women's health physiotherapists understands how these muscles work, the way they control your bladder and bowel and how they can affect your symptoms.
They will be looking at:
- Muscle strength, endurance and functional control
- Tissue scarring
- Sensation and pain
- Reflex contractions
- Evidence of any prolapse or weakness
After the examination the results will be fully explained and together we will form a treatment plan that is specific to you and your lifestyle.
Treatment may include:
- Treaching correct pelvic floor muscle exercises
- Designing a specific exercise programme to strengthen the pelvic floor
- Pilates based rehabilation
- Biofeedback and/or Electrical Muscular Stimulation (EMS) Cones
- Bladder and bowel re-education
- Dietary and lifestyle advice
It is important to understand that improvements in muscle strength can take up to 3 months and so perserverance with your exercise and/or treatment is essential.
We recognise that this is an extremely sensitive area and maintain the highest professional standards. We aim to make you feel comfortable to talk about your problems and to empower you to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life.
Our women's health physiotherapists are always available to speak to you to discuss any further queries you may have. Please call us and we will arrange for one of our women's health physiotherapists to call you back.
Sarah Plunkett MISCP
BodyRight Chartered Physiotherapy