Mumstown Chat

Pelvic Floor Exercises (part 1)

Owner of BodyRight Chartered Physiotherapy Sarah Plunkett answers your questions on Injury & Pain Management, Postural Problems, Women's Health and Core Strengthening.

Pelvic Floor Exercises (part 1)

Postby Bodyrightphysio » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Bodyrightphysio

This exercise routine is designed so that it can be prefromed on-the-go, in your car or the comfort of your bed. For best results try and take a moment every day and give your pelvic floor a workout!

1. Lie, sit or stand comfortably.

2. Focus on your back, middle and front passages. To squeeze the pelvic floor, close all three passages as if you are stopping the escape of wind or urine.

3. As you squeeze, imagine the pelvic floor is an elevator moving up through the floors of your abdomen. lift the muscle to the top floor and hold it there for as long as you can, up to 10 seconds.
Breath normally as you hold. You may feel your lower abdomen gently draw in at the same time.

4. Release the muscle completely, as if allowing the elevator to return to the basement, without forcing it or straining downwards.
Keep breathing normally all the time.

5. Repeat this exercise until your muscle starts to tire, and cannot lift as strongly.

6. As you progress, increase the length of the hold and the number of repetitions.

7. Now try some fast strong squeezes, relaxing the muscle fully and immediatley after each squeeze.

8. Repeat until you feel the muscle tiring.

Remember you should feel no discomfort or pain during these exercises (just the sensation of squeezing the muscle).
If you feel discomfort or pain stop this exercise program and consult a doctor or chartered physiotherapists.

Sarah MISCP
BodyRight
Last edited by Bodyrightphysio on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Pelvic Floor Exercises

Postby Sabbi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Sabbi

This is a big part of may daily routine, whenever I can remember to do it, I try to do it when I am standing at the sink or stopped at traffic lights

So important to do, otherwise I would be terrified to jump on a trampoline ever again incase of disaster!! :oops: :oops:

Postby Bodyrightphysio » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Bodyrightphysio

Well done Sabbi.

Its so important and not enough women are aware.

Keep up the good work :)

Sarah

Postby Taylor5 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Taylor5

Sabbi i think i'll rob your traffic light thingy, i never done mine.... was jumping about with the kids and did a sneaky little pee... really really need to set time aside NOW rather then ending up like the oap on little britain :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be strong be different!

Postby Sabbi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:12 am

Sabbi

My friend never did hers and she had an 'accident' while we were in her back garden playing with our kids and I swore I would make an effort to do them after that. felt so bad for her, she had to go in and change....really want to avoid that if i can.

The things us gals have to do eh???

Postby Bodyrightphysio » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 am

Bodyrightphysio

Very common unfortunatly.

I will also post up some simple pilates exercises to follow on from this program which tone deep abdominal muscles to help keep the tummy trim (they take a little bit more time but worth it) :wink:

Sabbi the 'traffic light' reminder is a great idea.. ill be stealing that 1 for the classes :D

Sarah
BodyRight